Ductless mini split system is the best technology for retrofit applications in areas, where ductwork is not possible like
- An old house without ductwork
- Home addition, which cannot be tied in the existing central HVAC system
- Add extra heat & cool feature to enhance interior comfort without resizing the current HVAC system
The decision to go ductless can also be influenced by swiftly increasing energy costs because today’s ductless technology provides amazing efficiency up to 33 SEER.
Inverter technology introduction has made ductless system more energy efficient. The equipment is designed to regulate its energy production to match the loss and gain of heat. Microprocessor intelligently controls the variable speed output function.
Inverter adjusts the single phase 230V AC power supplied to externally positioned condenser unit. The current passes through a capacitor and is rectified to clean DC current. This DC current flow is boosted to 380 V and pulsed at different hertz to reproduce 3-phase AC current. Thus the 3-phase compressor motor speed gets precisely controlled with refrigerant flow metered electronically to match the blower speed and compressor.
Brain behind inverter technology operation is a control board or computerized logic module fixed in outdoor compressor unit that interacts with indoor unit and system sensors. The interior and exterior temperatures are monitored constantly by the system. Sensor feeds the monitored changes to the control board. A fault code will indicate the specific issue within the equipment. Technician help can be obtained to handle the fault codes.
What is mini-split system?
Mini split system is comprised of two units –
- Outdoor condensing unit (easy to hide behind landscaping)
- Indoor fan coil or evaporator
Both these units are connected with copper tuning and electricity.
Installation of ductless system is less invasive than retrofitting traditional ductwork. It needs a hole of 3 inches in diameter. Professionals set up ductless mini splits in a couple of hours. You can click here to learn more about installation cost.
Soon after the installation of ductless mini splits room gets cooler within minutes. You will be surprised because the external condensing unit and indoor fan coil function so quietly that you will have to actually strain your ears, to listen to them.
Cooling and heating capacity
Indoor units can provide ¾ and 2 ½ tons cooling capacity, but depends on BTU ratings. External units are designed to fulfill the combined load of multiple zones. A single external component can connect up to 4 – indoor air handlers or 4 separate zones.
The cost of heating or cooling a single zone is anticipated to be within $1,500 to $6,000. It is said to be 30% more than the regular central HVAC system excluding ductworks.
Tips to maintain ductless system
- Air filter accessible in front needs to be cleaned with water every 3 months.
- To clean outdoor unit, it is wise to shut the power off. Using a garden hose gently wash the coil. Make sure that the fins are not smashed.
- Check all the connection inside to ensure that there is no wire loosened or worn out.
- In case, you see partially melted or discolored wires then repair them.
- The run capacitors must be checked for deforms or leakages.
- If the refrigerant is leaking then the connections will be greasy and dirty. Just tighten it but take care not to bend the lines.
- Check drain hose to ensure there are no clogs.